Protecting Children and Education
As a father, Jeff cares deeply about protecting Louisiana’s children and their education.
As our Attorney General, Jeff Landry is working to protect our children and education:
- Maintaining a strong Cyber Crime Unit to find, stop, and apprehend child predators. As a result of the Unit’s work hundreds of arrests have been made throughout Louisiana. In 2018, recognizing the office’s work, the federal government awarded the Louisiana Attorney General $315,000 to continue a focus on protecting children from technology-facilitated sexual exploitation by training and equipping personnel dedicated to the Louisiana Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force Program.
- Protecting the Freedom of Speech in front of school boards, especially in decisions related to pay raises and budgeting, by filing a lawsuit and winning a case against the Vermilion Parish School Board for violating Louisiana’s Open Meeting Law in removing teacher Deyshia Hargrave from a meeting after she criticized the District superintendent’s pay raise.
- Standing up for Religious Expression in schools and the rule of law by publishing Louisiana’s first guidelines for students, teachers, and administrators on prayer in schools. Authored together with Congressman Mike Johnson, the Louisiana Student Rights Review, gives helpful and definitive guidance on religious expression in public schools. This critical resource also helps local school administrators follow the law and avoid legal issues which could arise.
- To ensure parents are informed, issuing public notices of recalled and defective products which could harm children. It is critical when a product is recalled that parents, especially those of young children, are aware their child could be harmed.
- Providing guidance on how to protect children who may go online with consumer notices and information to help both kids and parents learn about the dangers on the internet and how to protect themselves. Programs like “Be Smart With Your Smart Phone” are helping protect Louisiana’s children.
Jeff and his wife Sharon not only want the best for their own son but for all Louisiana families to be safe.